Thursday 17 March 2011

Looking back

This has been a really interesting programme, and I think I will find myself using some of the tools in the future, though not all.  They are both useful for my work here at Warwick and also in my audio description work, which involves collaboration with colleagues, on a continuous basis, jointly creating documents, sharing updated scripts, and on occasion doing presentations.  For my work at the University I think the most useful side for me will be the help with my day to day work, using resources etc. and the sharing of professional knowledge and expertise.

I enjoyed the later things the most, and found using Flickr, YouTube and the other sharing sites very addictive, as well as the mechanics of uploading pictures, etc. which was easier than I had thought, and satisfying as one gets to see the results immediately.  Among other things I am likely to carry on with Flickr, though probably on a personal basis.  Of course many of the earlier things, RSS feeds, Twitter, redesigning my Firefox homepage, iGoogle and Diigo have now become part of my life.

The other thing that will be very useful is Googledocs and will start using it this very day with several other colleagues. Only a very few years ago the collaborative process involved word processing and posting the results to colleagues via the Royal Mail; the change is total and wonderful.

From a professional viewpoint, this means that information and experience can be shared widely and immediately, using media that is used in one's personal as well as professional life.  The old divisions between work and home are no longer there, a good and a bad thing.  
I think my default position still remains unlikely to share too much, especially Facebook and its like, but professionally these are big steps forward.


No comments:

Post a Comment